Île de Ré Salt Marsh Prawns: An exceptional treat
Starting at the end of August, the oyster bar offers tiger prawns both at the bar and to take away. Far from their tropical origins, our Tiger Prawns are raised in a natural habitat on the Île de Ré at La Ferme des Baleines in Saint-Clément-des-Baleines.
La Ferme des Baleines produces tiger prawns that are raised alongside their oysters. Prawn larvae are released into the claire salt pond with the oysters in the Spring, as soon as it’s warm enough. Because there are only 1 to 2 prawns per square metre, they have enough food to grow naturally without any industrial feed.
Salt Marsh Tiger Prawns – sold live
These tiger prawns 100% from the salt marshes of the Île de Ré are sold live from mid-August until November. They are firm and delicate, with a subtle salty aroma.
They are harvested at night and sold live the next morning. Availability depends on the catch, so it’s not guaranteed. Nevertheless, you can reserve your prawns at the Les Huîtres de St-Clément Oyster Bar by calling 09 63 60 11 83.
Characteristics of Île de Ré salt marsh prawns
- Appelation: Tiger prawns, or Penaeus Japonicus, are originally from Japan. They are raised in the marshes of St-Clément-des-Baleines, Île de Ré
- Merroir: Claire salt ponds at La Ferme des Baleines, St-Clément-des-Baleines, Île de Ré
- Cultivation: artisanal aquaculture 100% in claire salt ponds, raised alongside oysters
- Prawn diet: 100% natural, no inputs
- Density per m2: 1-2 prawns / m2
- Flavour: firm and delicate flesh, with a subtle salty aroma
- Season: August to November